Friday, January 8, 2016

Lighthouse

I have always been fascinated by lighthouses. 

I have tried to look for the reasons, for this fascination. Is it because it offers hope and land for a weary sailor and warn him of dangers? Is it the symbolism of light when all is dark? Is it the sheer elegance of something that rises lean and simple and reaches for the sky? Is it just its uprightness? Invariably simple architecture for a lofty purpose - both literally and figuratively? Is it because of the quotations that extoll the virtues of a lighthouse keeper's job? Like Einstein's? - "The ideal job for a theoretical physicist is that of a lighthouse keeper's. Then you could think all day long with no one bothering you"?

This fascination led me to paint and also goaded me to write this poem to accompany a loose watercolour sketch.

Here is one more watercolour work.




When I visited Mahabalipuram (Mamallapuram) some years ago, I took several photographs and used them and some more that I found on the net - like on the Lighthouse Authority of India.




No comments:

Post a Comment