Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Blame




Once in a while, a thought starts appearing in my mind already in the form of a verse or poem. I develop it later into what can be called a poem - if you are generous. This usually happens either in Kannada or in English, more often, the former.

Vincent van Gogh, an artist whom I admire instinctively, is oft-quoted. His opinions and remarks on art are revealing.

"..... But still one ought to try, however incompetent one may feel before the unspeakable perfection and radiant splendour of nature", he said.

I was once sketching a portrait or something and the results were unsatisfactory, to put it mildly, and I remembered Vincent.

And within a short time, a thought started forming in my mind and I was astonished that it was in Hindustani. My knowledge of that language is sketchy, at best, and as for a true South Indian, gender is the first victim when I speak. 

I continued to have some fun processing that poem in Hindi. I hesitantly submitted that poem to my brother-in-law, Nagraj Rao, who corrected some words and added an appropriate one in one place. He made sure that not everything had the same gender, and hence often wrong.

Here is the result.

                 तस्वीर बनाने लायक दुनिया बनाके
                 तस्वीर बनानेका  शौक बंदे के दिल मे  जगाके
                 तस्वीर बनाने की लियाक़त बंदे से छुपाके
                 बंदे का मज़ाक उडाते हो?

                 वाह रे खुदा, यही है तेरी खुदायी?
                 वाह रे खुदा, यही है तेरी खुदायी?




No comments:

Post a Comment