Saturday, August 1, 2020

Returning to My Art Blog

It is two years since I posted anything here. When I look back to see the reasons why, I can't see any. I leave it there.

I plan to post my works consistently from now on. 

Let me start with this:

I have made quite a few portraits of scientists. Some of my artist and other friends call it my scientific portrait series. Some friends active in popularisation of science conducted a theatre festival with Kannada plays based on scientific themes - such as the lives of Srinivasa Ramanujam, Leise Meitner, S Chandrasekhar, Brecht's life of Galileo in Kannada, and so on. They invited me to display the portraits I have made, during the festival. That was a very pleasant thing to do. I am grateful to them for the opportunity.

I post the latest in the series first - a portrait of the Indian statistician and polymath, D D Kosambi, done to honour him on his 113th birth anniversary, on 31 July, 2020 and add the others afterwards.



What follows are some of the pictures exhibited during the theatre festival with the name of the scientist linked to a Wikipedia page and the medium.


Fountain pen





Digital - Procreate on iPadPro

I had always wondered - do we really know if Galileo looked like this. Then I found that the reference to my work was a portrait by Justus Sustermans - A Dutch painter. Perhaps, Galileo really looked like this!




Pencil on scrap paper!






A pencil portrait of my father - who was a professor of chemistry in the University of Mysore, a writer of popular science in Kannada. He had also translated Bertolt Brecht's play the Life of Galileo to Kannada (With H K Ramachandramurthy) and it has been staged hundred times or more.






Fountain pen


Fountain pen







Fountain pen

No comments:

Post a Comment